Saturday, September 29, 2007

MS Doesn't Stand for 'Microsoft'


Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Accept the Diagnosis.

I've been spending almost all of my 'online time' researching MS, the treatment options (I think I'll be selecting one with my Neuro on Tuesday), lurking in MS forums and finally joining and participating in one, which instantly became a great source of information and perspective.

I haven't posted, because I've been wrestling with the impulse to post MS stuff – I realize that it can only hold a certain degree of interest for you all and I want to give you the 'other stuff' too. Anyway, I'm not going to fight it anymore and if this becomes an MS blog for now... so be it.

I've found a couple of interesting 'alternative' resources that have been a welcome complement to the more 'above ground' stuff.

Looking Forward with Multiple Sclerosis is the diary-like blog of a 40-year-old woman living, working and raising a family while coping with MS. In a very personal and candid chronicle the author documents (often in frank detail) the realities of her life with MS.

Another is Multiple Sclerosis Sucks: How to Suffer From a Chronic and Incurable Disease Without Appearing to be a Total Loser. It's one man's biting, sarcastic, no-holds-barred and often darkly hilarious humorous ["Hilarious" is probably a bit strong. – Ed.] breakdown of his 'journey' with MS. Be warned, it's not for the faint-of-heart or those that can't enjoy a bit of gallows humor.

Notes:
1. My diagnosis, or Dx as we type it now, is actually Clinically Isolated Syndrome, or CIS, a common precursor to an official MS Dx which comes with a second exacerbation.
2. No two cases of MS are alike.

1 comment:

mdmhvonpa said...

Sorry to see you join the club. The secret password to get in the door is 'confoundit!'. If you are interested in other ms bloggers, I have a list of 80 or so semi-active blogs listed under 'Haupertonian MS Cabal' on the left nav. Once again, sorry to see you in the clubhouse.