Thursday, May 14, 2009

The Forever War

As a bit of a sci-fi head, I'm embarrassed to admit that I was completely unaware of Joe Haldeman's 1974 human/alien war masterpiece, The Forever War. It only came to my attention when Hol an I stopped in to a Border's (may have been a B&N, I can never tell them apart) and there was a big stack of them on one of the front tables. I had a faint recollection of reading about the upcoming Ridley Scott adaptation, but that was it. I picked it up thinking it was new only to realize it had 35 years of accolades heaped upon it.

With detached, spare language, Haldeman creates a cold, (largely) empty universe in which humans having finally come in contact with an alien species, the inscrutable Taurans, jump through space – and most compellingly time – in an effort to eradicate them.

If like me, you're a sci-fi fan that may have missed this one, do yourself a favor and pick it up. It's fantastic.

No comments: