Wednesday, September 17, 2008

"You might never look at toothpaste the same way again"

So, just as Hirst's haul was causing me to reflect on choices made, acknowledge the negligence with which I've nurtured my "Art" and lament the lack of any real "new ideas" with which to make one's artistic mark, I saw the above image. New York-based artist Erik Boker has taken scalpel to tube, pinned the "skin" back and exposed the innards – the guts, if you will – of toothpaste brands. Part of his "Product Dissections" series I found the images striking, inspiring and... "new". My faith in the potential of Big-A Art restored for the time being.

At top: Aquafresh Extreme Clean Empowermint – 2008
Headline from: Creativity, Peeling Back The Product; Sept. 16, 2008

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's so creative. I find it kind of moving in an unsettling way. Very cool. Do you know what other products he's dissected?

Unknown said...

As far as I've been able to discern, the toothpaste looks like the first product he's autopsied.